Most people have heard of TMJ, a commonly used abbreviation for what is actually called Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD), but not all know what it is, how it is caused, or what can be done to relive the pain associated with this common disorder. Determining if you are suffering from TMJ Disorder, or TMD, can be incredibly helpful, though, especially since your dentist might be able to offer you quick relief from jaw pain and associated symptoms. By relieving tightness throughout your hard-working jaw joints, TMD treatment can help eliminate discomfort throughout the jaw, and even protect your teeth from undue wear that could lead to noticeably jagged edges, heightened sensitivity and other damage. If you are unsure if you have TMD, the following quiz can help you learn the most common symptoms of the disorder.
Are You Suffering from TMD?
- Do you frequently suffer from jaw pain, or aches in the facial muscles, ears, or mouth?
- Do you sometimes hear a popping or clicking noise when you open your mouth?
- Are you experiencing difficulty chewing, or frequent toothaches that are not being caused by another dental problem?
- Do you suffer from frequent headaches, especially when waking up in the morning?
- Have you been told your grind your teeth while you sleep, or subconsciously during the day?
If you answered yes to any or especially several of these questions, you should schedule an appointment with your dentist, to determine if TMD could be to blame. If so, treatment like Botox injections could help relieve your discomfort, and potentially protect your teeth from the wear that is often caused by subconscious tooth grinding when TMD is present.
Botox helps to relax the tense and tightened jaw muscles, allowing your smile to function much more comfortably.
ABOUT YOUR KATY, TX, COSMETIC BOTOX DENTIST:
Dr. Colin Lathrop and the Lathrop Dental Center proudly welcome patients and families from in and around Katy, TX, including Fulshear, Weston Lakes, Simonton, Richmond, Rosenberg, Brookshire, Wallis, Orchard, and all surrounding communities. If you’d like to schedule an appointment, you can reach our cosmetic dental office in Katy, TX, by calling 832-437-3849.